By Josh del Sol
Producer & Director, Take Back Your Power
On January 17, 2008, President Barack Obama famously said, “Under my plan of a cap-and-trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket.” It’s now clear that the so-called “smart” utility meter is the core culprit technology in the scheme to which Obama was referring. But this is just the tip of the rather alarming iceberg unveiled in the feature film documentary Take Back Your Power (available via streaming and DVD at www.takebackyourpower.net).
Billions of tax dollars… no benefits?
It is now easily demonstrated that all three of these claims are patently false. “Smart” meters and grids typically use more energy, they are extremely hackable (making the entire power grid vulnerable), and customers suffer increased utility bills virtually across the board immediately following a “smart” meter installation – a fact even openly acknowledged now by some utilities.
In the words of Dr. Timothy Schoechle, a leading digital technology engineer and author of Getting Smarter About The Smart Grid:
“The smart meter is a canard—a story or a hoax based on specious and grandiose claims about energy benefits ostensibly derived from the promise of “two-way” communication with the customer… There is essentially no possibility that most smart meters or meter networks will lead to greater sustainability.”
-Dr. Timothy Schoechle, “Getting Smarter About The Smart Grid“
Smart spy state
As if all this is not enough, “smart” meters – in combination of “smart” appliances also chronically transmitting low-level microwave radiation – are functionally designed to collect swaths of in-home private data on everyone. According to a US Congressional Research Service report,
“Police will have access to data that might be used to track residents’ daily lives and routines while in their homes, including their eating, sleeping, and showering habits, what appliances they use and when, and whether they prefer the television to the treadmill, among a host of other details.”
-US Government Congressional Research Service report, “Smart Meter Data: Privacy and Cybersecurity”, 2012
But it gets worse. Utilities and public utilities commissions (such as California’s PUC) are actually encouraging the sale of this private data – everything you do in your own home – to 3rd-party corporate interests, for a profit.
“I support today’s decision because it adopts reasonable privacy and security rules and expands consumer and third-party access to electricity usage and pricing information. I hope this decision stimulates market interest in the data.”
-Timothy Alan Simon, CPUC Commissioner
And incredulously, even former CIA Director David Patraeus boasted (in Wired, March 2012) that government will be routinely spying on through their “smart” appliances. Thus, with CISPA’s focus on legalizing private data transfer deals for corporations to government agencies, the primary motivation behind the push for such legislation starts to become clear.
And not only would every detail of your life be tracked, but your access to electricity would be totally controlled: your appliances or entire home could be shut down at any time – without notice – by any utility, or government agency, or as another former CIA director James Woolsey stated, “a hacker on a cellphone in China.”
Newsflash: the NSA phone spying scandal is just the tip of the globalist iceberg.
The good news: the “smart” plan of control and order-out-of-chaos cannot be achieved if enough people simply refuse to participate in this federally-sponsored voluntary microwave and surveillance program.
Mounting evidence of health damage
Tens of thousands of individuals are reporting officially, to governments and utilities, that they are experiencing illness or functional impairments following the installation of “smart” meters. Reported symptoms include headaches, sleep problems, ear ringing, focus difficulties, fatigue, heart palpitations, nausea and statistically abnormal recurrences of cancer.
According to court-ordered documentation, and independent testing, utilities have been proven to be lying about how often “smart” meters transmit bursts of microwave radiation. Depending on the utility their claim is typically something like “4-6 times per day” (Pepco), or “45-60 seconds per day” (PG&E) — whereas courts and independent testing reveal that meters are transmitting in the range of 10,000 to 190,000 pulsed microwave transmissions per day.
The amount of transmitted microwave radiation has been measured up to 200 times greater (if one is standing next to the meter) than the Building Biology standard threshold for “extreme concern”. The radiation standards set by national agencies such as the FCC are literally thousands of times higher than science-based levels, because they actually assume that harm can only be done from electromagnetic radiation (EMR) if cells heat up by a certain amount. This is called a “thermal effect”. The reality is that more than 6,000 peer-reviewed, published studies have indicated functional impairment, symptoms of illness or disease (ie. “non-thermal effects”) from levels of EMR as much as 10,000 times lower than “safety” standards set by organizations such as the FCC, Health Canada, ICNIRP, etc.
But the health effects don’t end with the pulsed microwave radiation – from the meters and all future “smart” transmitting appliances – under this multinational plan of total control. Every “smart” digital electric meter has what’s known as a “switching mode power supply”, which is proven to directly create large amounts of dirty electricity (DE) – or high-frequency energy radiating throughout your home’s electric circuits, essentially creating an antenna cage. The levels of DE caused by “smart” meters can be several hundred times higher than some international safety standards. When confronted, one government agent would not talk about this on his work phone, but on a private call he confirmed the awareness and concern of the DE health hazard.
As stated by Dr. De-Kun Li, a respected Kaiser Permanente scientist whom I interviewed, “I am not aware of any studies that have shown that exposure to smart meters is safe for the human population.”
In this complete void of responsibility or conscience, independent research is now starting to clearly show negative biological effects. One such example is demonstrated in our film – the effects of a single “smart” meter on live human blood – and the visual results are staggering, to say the least.
Additionally, by many reports there are now well over a thousand home fires linked to “smart” meters, and tens of thousands have experienced other appliance breakages in their home. Incredulously, almost none of these meters, made mostly in China, have been tested or approved by Underwriters Laboratories (UL) or an equivalent standards body. Thus, the homeowner has no guarantee of coverage, and is often left to deal with the damage and expense to repair.
Crisis or awakening?
This is the first time in known history that either governments or corporations are attempting to force a device (on entire populations) which has been openly proven to cause direct harm to health, rights, security and property.
In the US, where federal bill introduced in July 2013 would – if passed – eliminate local decision-making and mandate “smart” grid deployments nationwide, this agenda rips apart the 4th, 5th and 10th Constitutional Amendments.,, Mandated or not, the installation of “smart” meters is either underway or planned in virtually all western countries, despite existing foundational laws which have heretofore served as protection for the people from tyranny.
By forcing this centralized control grid while ignoring an avalanche of evidence indicating catastrophic downsides – and all the while, completely ignoring democratic processes – the picture is becoming clear that the corrupted establishment is truly going for broke on this one folks.
However, as documented in Take Back Your Power, there is a growing widespread awareness and resistance to this anti-freedom, anti-life program. Hundreds of local governments have issued moratoriums on the installation of “smart” meters, and in California alone, 15 councils have criminalized the installations. Several, such as the City of Sebastopol, have additionally issued an ordinance fining PG&E in the range of $500 fine per installed meter in their city.
But PG&E and other utilities around the world still are not backing down. In almost all regions where people are beginning to rise to their feet, utilities are moving toward an extortive “opt-out” program, charging customers through the nose for the privelege of not being microwaved and surveiled in their home. Two weeks ago the rogue British Columbian government floated the idea to more than 60,000 households declining the new meter, to fork over an initial fee of $100, and then pay them an ongoing fee of $35 per month, just to keep their analog meter.
To pay for the privilege of not being irradiated and surveilled upon.
No legal requirement, pulling back the curtain
According to some legal experts we interviewed, the trick is to realize that it’s just a poker game. There is no law requiring you to accept a so-called “smart” meter on your home, or to participate in extortion, even though utilities and governments are intimidating people into believing they have no choice.
And for the masses who do not yet know the facts about this shocking issue, corporate utilities operate under tacit acceptance, or implied consent – in other words, if you didn’t say “no”, you just said “yes”.
Lawsuits and claim-of-right actions against installations are sprouting up and becoming almost ubiquitous. In many local governments that are still not listening to the people, individual councilors and mayors are now beginning to be on the receiving end of civil and criminal litigation. Though, with so much on the line, and the bottomless corporate pockets of a trillion-dollar industry, would a fair trial even be possible?
Whether or not this vast trail of corruption extends into the courts (in the opinion of the writer: it does, but proceedings with a jury may be more fruitful), people are increasingly becoming aware of their rights, and white-collar criminals are beginning to be called out. As one rights group put it:
“No longer can a department head say they were just following orders. No longer can a mayor or city council member say they didn’t know, especially when an avalanche of information is presented to them indicating their position on an issue is detrimental to the health their constituency.”
Because virtually all of us have utility meters, we all now have direct leverage against a central pillar of the planetary control system, perhaps for the first time in any social movement, ever. And it all starts with saying “no” to your utility. If you have a so-called “smart” digital surveillance meter, demand to have it be replaced with a safe analog meter. And do not pay any extortive fees.
Participating in extortion condones criminality, and is pathetically ineffective – anyone remember Chamberlain’s attempt to appease Hitler? Germany does, and they remember unbridled fascism, too. The world’s technology and renewable energy leader is taking a position against “smart” surveillance meters.
This is why we made Take Back Your Power: to let people know – in a highly credible, inspiring and hugely entertaining way – that you no longer have to be silenced by a faceless, soulless enemy. And to provide a tool that can be used like a light saber of awakening for personal networks, or entire regions.
The curtain’s pulled back. Time to connect-the-dots and turn the tables. Let’s each start by deciding what we are ready to stand for, and then reaching out to family, friends and community.
High stakes, huge opportunity
What’s at stake is nothing less than our basic rights to life, health, choice and freedom itself. When finally understood, this situation is a crisis, but it is also a truly momentous opportunity to claim power back into the hands of the people, by decentralizing energy production within the community, and vetoing the old dinosaurs of leechlike extraction. The insanity of these systems is becoming evident, no matter how well-trained the oligarchy’s PR department.
What helps to make sense of this whole thing, is coming to the understanding that governments have become corporate puppets and have been systematically suppressing any tangible solution for decades. The Federation of American Scientists acknowledges that more than 5,000 technology patent applications have been “secretized”. And the US Patent Office actually has a publicly-visible internal law for the suppression of inventions. With 6 of the 7 world’s richest companies in the oil/gas/energy industry, should it be surprising that corporate governments have (in Spain) actually passed laws to prohibit the “illegal use of sunlight for energy generation”, setting a fine of $30M Euro for violating homeowners?
The fact is, in order for human civilization to make it through this time of terrible corruption – and to realize a world of decentralized power and restoration of rights to health, privacy and life itself – we are now required to transition to higher awareness of our situation. We are being asked to confront our existential fear of authority; to go through the proverbial eye of the needle. This requires a realization of the tremendous magnitude of fraud that has been perpetrated by the corporate-government power centers – and then a willingness to take a stand and move our innate Creative force through this awareness. And in doing so, to contribute to a solution that burns off the parasite, and benefits the living.
In the end, there is no other way but to stand against corruption, and reveal who we are.
* * *
BE PART OF THE SOLUTION!
Watch online and share the film ‘Take Back Your Power’, at www.takebackyourpower.net. Free community screenings and bulk DVD discounts are available. Become an affiliate and share the film online.
1) Obama on cap and trade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlTxGHn4sH4
2) Time Magazine: http://business.time.com/2012/07/26/obamas-smart-electrical-grid-plan/
3) European Commission wants another $700 billion for smart grid upgrades: http://www.smartgridnews.com/artman/publish/Business_Markets_Pricing/European-Commission-wants-another-700-billion-for-smart-grid-upgrades-5868.html
4) California Public Utilities Commission: Benefits of Smart Meters: http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/PUC/energy/Demand+Response/benefits.htm
5) CBS5 News Report, Feb 2010: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csvmw2frBws
6) Krebs on Security, 09 Apr 2012: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/04/fbi-smart-meter-hacks-likely-to-spread/
7) US Government Accountability Office Report “Challenges in Securing the Electricity Grid”, 17 Jul 2012: http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-12-926T
8) USA Today, 23 Jun 2010: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/greenhouse/post/2010/07/smart-meters-draw-complaints/1#.UWs0dcpYXTo
9) Toronto Hydro: 80% seeing increases on bills http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/end-smart-meter-hydro-program-ont-opposition-1.938350
10) Getting Smarter About The Smart Grid, by Dr. Timothy Schoechle: http://gettingsmarteraboutthesmartgrid.org/
11) US Government Congressional Research Service report, “Smart Meter Data: Privacy and Cybersecurity”: https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42338.pdf
12) California Public Utilities Commission press release, 28 July 2011: http://docs.cpuc.ca.gov/word_pdf/NEWS_RELEASE/140316.pdf
13) Wired, “CIA Chief: We’ll Spy on You Through Your Dishwasher”, Mar 2012: http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/03/petraeus-tv-remote/
14) RT.com, “We’ll protect your private data’: CISPA-embracing Facebook tries to calm users’ fears”, 14 April 2012: https://rt.com/usa/cispa-facebook-privacy-violation-061/
15) Former CIA Director James Woolsey – “Stupid Grid”: http://www.energynow.com/video/2011/08/10/preview-mix-james-woolsey
16) EMF Safety Network, Smart Meter Health Complaints: http://emfsafetynetwork.org/?page_id=2292
17) Court documentation, State of California, 1 November 2011: https://takebackyourpower.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Smart-Meter-Health-14000-to-190000.pdf and https://takebackyourpower.net/thurs-april-26-smart-meters-public-conference-call-health-and-privacy/
18) WUSA9 report, “Smart Meters May Emit Radiation More Frequently than Pepco Admits”: http://www.wusa9.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=2176584039001
19) PG&E Court Documentation: https://takebackyourpower.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Smart-Meter-Health-14000-to-190000.pdf
20) Take Back Your Power original trailer, 2 Jan 2012: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pcGAv4rTko
21) Baubiologie / Building Biology guidelines, http://www.baubiologie.de/downloads/english/richtwerte_2008_englisch.pdf
22) Powerwatch.co.uk, “International Guidance Levels”: http://www.powerwatch.org.uk/science/intguidance.asp
23) EMFWise.com, “Effects by Power Density”: http://www.emfwise.com/tableofeffects.php
24) Take Back Your Power (film): https://takebackyourpower.net
25) TheTruthAboutSmartGrids, “No Studies Show Smart Meters Are Safe”: http://thetruthaboutsmartgrids.org/2013/09/07/no-studies-show-smart-meters-safe/
26) Take Back Your Power (film): https://takebackyourpower.net
27) EMF Safety Network: Smart Meter Fires and Explosions: http://emfsafetynetwork.org/?page_id=1280
28) GreenBiz, “China’s Smart Meter Boom Will Lead to 1B Installations by 2020”: http://www.greenbiz.com/news/2011/08/10/chinas-smart-meter-boom-will-lead-1b-installations-2020
29) GlobalTV (BC), “Two Smart Meter Fires, Appliances all blown”, Aug 2012: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0WiCDtk8Dw
30) “McNerney Introduces Bill To Invest In Smart Grid Technologies”: http://mcnerney.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/mcnerney-introduces-bill-to-invest-in-smart-grid-technologies
31) Cornell Law Dictionary, Fourth Amendment: http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/fourth_amendment
32) Cornell Law Dictionary, Fifth Amendment: http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/conlaw/takings.htm
33) Cornell Law Dictionary, Tenth Amendment: http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/tenth_amendment
34) EMF Safety Network, “Sebastopol makes Smart Meter installations illegal- $500 fine”: http://emfsafetynetwork.org/?p=9360
35) Vancouver Sun, “BC Hydro wants $35/month extra from thousands of smart meter holdouts”: http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Hydro+wants+month+extra+from+thousands+smart+meter+holdouts/8909477/story.html
36) YouTube, “Opt Out from BC Hydro?”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVte2vDUEA8
37) Cornell Law Dictionary, “Implied consent”: http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/implied_consent
38) Convicted Crestwood chief may resign Thursday: http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/news/19837091-418/convicted-crestwood-chief-may-resign-thursday.html
39) YouTube: “The Crucifixion of San Carlos – Smart Meters Agenda 21 Iclei & The City Council – Anthony J Hilder”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7R0fnocey8
40) Could Naperville Be The Next Crestwood: http://citycouncilwatchdog.com/2013/05/could-naperville-be-the-next-crestwood/
41) RenewableEnergyWorld, “Will Germany Reject Smart Meters?”: http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/news/article/2013/09/will-germany-reject-smart-meters
42) Federation of American Scientists, Invention Secrecy: https://www.fas.org/sgp/othergov/invention/
43) US Patent Laws Appendix L (see 35 USC 181 “Secrecy of certain inventions and withholding of patent”): http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/mpep/mpep-9015-appx-l.html
44) Wikipedia, “World’s Largest Companies (By Revenue)”: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_companies_by_revenue
45) Mining.com, “Spain Taxes Sunlight”: http://www.mining.com/spain-taxes-sunlight-91423/
46) YouTube, “RISE UP”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOiUrF74F14
Note: Variations of this article have appeared on:
http://sciencetosagemagazine.com (see article a la carte)